[opendtv] Re: Are ATSC Stations Going Off The Air?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 02:21:52 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I'm not sure how you can conclude that the LTE Broadcast infrastructure
> is more expensive, either to build or to operate. I honestly do not know
> the relative costs.

I already explained that. If you don't know the answer to this, then the rest
is immaterial. To retain the current coverage, program lineup, and image
quality levels, over LTE, the broadcasters would incur a big expense.

And furthermore, if the handheld devices could receive this programming direct
from broadcasters, the cellcos wouldn't get their extra revenues from the
wireless data downloads. Hence, the cellcos have no interest in allowing this
type of bypass, whether it's LTE, DVB-H, or ATSC-MH. And Apple wouldn't sell
the stuff, for big bucks, on iTunes. So they wouldn't jump at this either.

> Sorry, but marketplace realities speak for themselves.

Yup. Marketplace realities have stated emphatically that DVB-H to handhelds, in
Europe, is not a big winner.

It's a big gamble. If the broadcasters do go for the big expense, the cellcos
will likely still not be interested. Nor would Apple. The consumers aren't all
that into this either, except MAYBE for that very small fraction of hours per
week, when they have live sports OTA.

Says to me, if broadcasters want to get that small fraction of programming to
handhelds, that fraction that people may actually want, by FAR the lowest risk
option is to make use of the cellco infrastructure. The cellcos will get extra
revenues from the downloaded bytes, the broadcasters existing OTA costs will be
unaffected.