[opendtv] Re: Are ATSC Stations Going Off The Air?

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 18:40:09 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I continue to wonder why the US cellcos would allow this to happen,
UNLESS  the LTE overlay network were their own.

So many misconceptions here!

First, there is nothing to stop the telcos from offering LTE Broadcast
EXCEPT:

Egad! What lack of reading comprehension! That's what I said, Craig. Cellcos
could set up such an overlay, and the implied point that you appear to have
missed was, "and this would still leave no role for OTA broadcasters."

2. Content - they would need to compete for the rights for the content
people WANT on mobile devices connected to LTE networks;

That's almost immaterial to this discussion, actually. If cellcos can get
the right to send that content to smartphones, then they have an incentive
to set up this overlay. If they cannot, then they have no incentive to set
up this overlay. Either way, the original point remains. (In any event,
Verizon Wireless seems to have been able to get those rights, to whatever
extent they needed for Vcast.)

3. The telcos are rapidly moving to a business model where third
parties own and operate the tower infrastructure;

That's also immaterial, unless you're suggesting that broadcasters should
buy up those infrastructure companies and take over that job. As things are
today, the original point still holds. If the cellcos can get something back
for those LTE overlay broadcasts, they will be interested. If not, they
won't.

4. The telcos no longer control the devices that connect to their
networks.

Right. For example, this much ballyhooed new AppleTV product appears to be
nothing more than a traditional cableco STB. The service providers,
including MVPDs or cellcos, still have control, else I would be able to use
my iPhone or Lumia on any cell network of my choosing, at the drop of a hat,
AppleTV would be a true, unfettered Internet TV box, iPhones would
incorporate broadcast receivers, and so forth.

In an LTE world, robustness comes from adequate cell density

I'm sure we don't need to rehash old discussions here. The point of digital
FM was aside from these old discussions. As to the broadcasters being toast
if they choose, presumably, anything except LTE, I can't see anything in
your post that makes broadcasters less toast. Once again, for this LTE
overlay to be of any interest to cellcos, and by extension to the hardware
makers, there would have to be some infinite revenue stream created for the
cellcos.