[opendtv] Re: Apple unveils iCloud

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:17:34 -0400

Maybe this is what the large Apple server farm in NC, or wherever, was meant for?

Obviously. They are building another similar server farm in California. I would expect Europe to be next.

The Apple web site keeps freezing up, but I gather you get 5 GB of storage for free, and that 5 GB does NOT include any purchased downloads, e.g. from iTunes.

Yes, the 5GB is just for your personal data. You get space for 1000 photos with Photostream and access to the music library if you pay the $25 per year for iTunes match (essentially just your iTunes metadata is stored in the cloud and can access the Tunes music library instead of uploading all of your music to the cloud.

Must be funded in part from the purchase price of all of these i devices, and it will certainly help keep people in the fold. They mention it also works with PCs, which is probably a good strategy, as long as we're only strictly talking about PCs and laptops.

Yes, it is funded from the ecosystem - just like the billions Apple has paid to app developers...

I would note that Google provides similar cloud services for free - actually advertiser supported, like FOTA...

;-)

Will be interesting to see this develop.

I agree.

I've already purchased Pages for my iPhone and started using iWork.com to share documents among my devices.

The real fun should begin in the fall when iOS 5 is released and this stuff really starts working.

I expect that there will be some significant additional announcements in the fall, especially related to Apple TV.