[opendtv] Re: Apple promises software fix for iPhone 4 signal woes

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:54:09 -0400

Obviously, a software fix to re3duce the number of bars showing won't fix reception problems. To me, what this says is that the FCC should re-evaluate their hype about grabbing 600 MHz spectrum for hand-held devices. These built-in anetnnas are even less efficient at lower frequencies.

All cell phones have antenna issues; holding them in certain ways may attenuate the signal more than other ways.

Apple claims, and I tend to believe them that iPhone 4 has the best reception of any phone they have offered. To me the ability to bridge the antennas is a non issue, as I cannot imagine any same person NOT buying a protective case for the phone - this from someone who has dropped their phone many times, including falling off the back of my truck at 55 mph.

As for using lower frequencies, I can only suggest that the largest problem today is that the networks are maxed out in terms of capacity. The carriers USE algorithms to regulate the length of calls by making it appear that you are losing service. You are, but it is not an antenna problem.