[opendtv] Re: Apple Wants Local TV in Its Web TV Service, Which Could Lead to Delays | Re/code

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 13:29:14 -0400

On May 24, 2015, at 12:05 PM, John Shutt (Redacted sender "shuttj@xxxxxxxxx"
for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does Apple have any EAS obligations?

Good question.

The answer is probably yes, as MVPDs must pass through EAS alerts on their
non-broadcast channels. DBS and Satellite radio services are required to pass
through alerts from the national EAS system.

There are several levels of alerts that are sent to mobile devices, especially
always on phones. Some of these, like amber alerts can be disabled, but others
cannot be blocked. I remember receiving a severe storm alert while driving up
I-85 in North Georgia while I was on a teleconference.