[opendtv] Re: Apple TV Remote Expected to Add Touch Pad in Redesign - NYTimes.com

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 21:52:53 -0400

On May 27, 2015, at 6:15 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The point I'm making is that if you use a tablet to control the TV, THEN you
have to turn your attention from the TV to the tablet, when touching its
screen, rather than just staying focused on the TV.

Really?

It's no different than using a mouse; you watch the TV, and move the pointer
using the touchscreen as a trackpad. You really need to try the app for your TV
(if it has one) or your Roku. This stuff is quite common now.

I know a lot of giddy trade scribes, having discovered tablets, felt obliged
to dream up a lot of questionable uses for it. And these excuses usually
sound lame to me. Like, tablets behaving like $400+ remote controls that are
quite totally unnecessary.

You still don't it get it.

You are not justifying the cost/use of a tablet, or a smartphone, as a remote
control for the TV. Those devices do MANY things that justify the investment.
You are using an App that is provided for free, to control your TV.

Did you not read the story I posted today about the use of tablets while
watching TV?

We are talking about a world where the TV screen may be background noise, or
the center of social interaction for small groups. The touch driven mobile
devices are going to be a critical part of this new environment.

You totally missed my point. If you want a tablet while watching TV, in fact
a much better use for it IS to use it for stuff either unrelated, or
tangentially related, to what's showing on the TV. Dedicating this expensive
computer to the menial task of remote control, and having to distract
yourself from the TV to control the TV, is just silliness. Not too different,
btw, from having a touchscreen in a car, to control whatever systems while
you're driving. It's very simply: BAD ergonomics

Bad ergonomics?

I'll call your mouse and raise you an iPod Touch.