[opendtv] Re: Apple TV Ensures TV's Future Is Not Just Apps, For One Really Obvious Reason - Forbes

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 00:27:28 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

An interesting commentary that will probably get Bert going on several
fronts...

(1) Most of these articles that gush about Apple TV seem like they're written
by utterly clueless people. And (2) we know already that linear TV viewing is
on the decline, used by less than half of the TV audience, in the US. It might
take a little longer for that to become the case in the UK, but that wouldn't
be so unusual, would it?

I've mentioned this already. With Windows 10, I can download all the same
"apps" that Windows phones have. And as far as TV watching goes, there's simply
no big deal difference there, compared with just using your one "browser app."
The only meaningful difference is in what is available FOTI, what is available
only after 8 days, and what is available only with subscription. As far as I
can tell, the "app" and the generic browser method are somewhat complementary,
with Win10. On CBS, the browser does not impose an 8-day wait, while the "app"
method makes *some* of the library content available FOTI, as opposed to none.
ABC and Fox always impose that 8-day limit, for current shows, when using the
browser method.

As far as ease of use? Absolutely no difference, for TV content. Obviously, a
browser is infinitely more useful for other content. Ease of setup? Hardly any
different, right? The little box and the PC both use WiFi and both connect to
the TV via HDMI.

So once again, people that make a big deal about "apps" sound, to me, like they
just crawled out of a dark cave, after 30 years in the dark. Especially when
they gush about "apps" in a device like Apple TV, Roku, and the like, which are
not limited to a hand-held, small footprint. And especially when the device
starts to cost something approaching 1/2 the price of a full-fledged, although
budget priced, PC.