[opendtv] Re: Apple TV: Eddy Cue on streaming video and TV channels - Nov. 6, 2015

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 20:12:39 -0500

Craig wrote:

The boxes used to access content from the Internet are not the issue, other
than the ways they deal with navigation, search and discovery. The issue is
how
the content owners will allow their products to be sold over the Internet.

Craig sounds just as clueless as those who write these articles.

The congloms have been making their stuff available over the Internet for more
than a decade, Craig. If you feel the need to pretend that these limited boxes,
which rely on collusion and under-the-table dealing, are the only way to get
that online content to your big screen, then please explain to us what
motivates you to think so.

Are you ready to authorize ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Netflix, Amazon, Scripps
Howard,
and others to hit your credit card each month to watch their content?

I see what they offer, under what terms, and I decide, Craig. Some of these
guys offer content FOTI, some do not. I decide. Why do I need to belabor the
obvious?

Your friend Les is telling you otherwise. "Want to watch the new Star Trek?
Just subscribe to All Access."

For the first viewing. And he'll offer it other ways after some undisclosed
delay. So sure, I can either subscribe to All Access, I can wait and watch
FOTI, or, if needed, I can simply not watch Star Trek and watch something else
instead.

I see nothing unusual in any of this. The fact remains, insisting that these
limited boxes are the only answer shows a certain lack of understanding of this
subject matter.