[opendtv] Re: Apple Said to Near Time Warner Cable Deal for TV Programs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 20:47:34 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> And simultaneously, from the point of view of the content OWNER, it's
>> equally lucrative to offer their content to any other OTT service that
>> *also* offers their content in some kind of bundles. No reason to
>> assume the content owner would remain loyal to only a handful of
>> incumbents MVPDs plus, perhaps, Apple behaving like another MVPD.
>
> I think this may be a Pygmalion moment for Bert. I can hear Henry Higgs
> now: "I think he's got it!"

Wow, what an unabashed example of projection. I don't know how many times I've
had to repeat that (a) Internet TV does not necessarily say ANYTHING about
bundling, one way or another, and (2) OTT sites can offer what MVPDs offer,
without the OTT site having to restrict its content to just that one
infrastructure, and without mandating, or actually without credibly being able
to mandate, the use of unnecessary middleboxes.

Finally, it appears that Craig got it.