[opendtv] Re: Apple May Rethink Web TV Service, Says Pac Crest - Investors.com

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 07:34:37 -0500

On Nov 18, 2015, at 8:51 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's pretty obvious that if each home wants 1 Gb/s of broadband service, the
number of homes served by any PON will be minuscule. But surely you can see
that wasting spectrum on broadcast only makes matters worse. In the 900 MHz
example, repurposing the broadcast spectrum would allow the cable company to
serve 4 homes instead of one, with 1 Gb/s service. My not be worth it to
them? Perhaps.

Not obvious at all, unless you persist in the illogical notion that every home
will be using the full 1 Gbps service all the time. The reality is that homes
will not be hosting edge servers; they will be accessing them, and downloading
most files in short bursts. Your numbers are meaningless, as they only reflect
the worst case of simultaneous demand at the peak bit rate.

We already know that the bit rates the cable systems are selling us are "best
case" not worst case. During peak demand periods the rates are typically
throttled to serve everyone on the PON. And we know that the bit rates may be
throttled for heavy users who exceed their monthly caps.

So open your mind and think about the reality of what network traffic will look
like in the future. Anything already sitting on a server can be pushed to local
cache VERY quickly. Any LIVE events being viewed by a large number of homes can
be delivered as IP multicasts.

It's a traffic management problem, not a case of peak bit rate numerology.