[opendtv] Re: Apple Introduces New Apple TV Software & Lowers Price to $229

  • From: John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:44:11 -0500

This is not Samsung's 3rd generation of DLP TVs....it's their 3rd generation of DLP TVs specifically using LED backlighting. If you have not taken a good look at one, I suggest you do. To me, it has the most natural "CRT-looking" image out there. It has a softer looking picture without sacrificing resolution. I often find other digital displays too artificial looking, partly because of their extreme brightness, and partly because of their "sharpness".

Perhaps there was something different in this TI tech you were told about?

On 16-Jan-08, at 3:27 PM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

At 11:21 AM -0500 1/16/08, John Golitsis wrote:
Is this something brand new?? At CES, Samsung announced their 3rd generation of DLP RP models with LED light sources. Mitsubishi announced laser light source DLP RPs at CES. According to a report I read by Peter Putman, the picture looked similar to the Samsung LED-based sets. I'm curious to know what you are referring to.

On 16-Jan-08, at 10:11 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Completely unrelated, I have been made aware of a new (actually enhanced) projection TV technology using LEDs as the light source.

Hmmmm...

I guess if Samsung announced 3rd generation DLPs with LED light sources the cat is out of the bag (I was told that the TI demo of this new chip was not for public release).

I am told that the pictures were VERY GOOD. The LED are switched rather than using a rotating color wheel. And no more light bulbs to replace!