[opendtv] Re: Apple Introduces New Apple TV Software & Lowers Price to $229

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 05:22:53 -0500

Since I use if for both TV & web browsing I've managed to go through 3 bulbs so far on my Sharp DLP projector. They cost about $300 apiece, even if I wait a few weeks to mail order a new bulb.

That's why I went out and picked up my LCD TV a couple months ago when I burned out the previous DLP bulb.

But at the time I searched and could not find any decent deals for front projectors with LED bulbs. Those bulbs are supposed to last many times longer and also use maybe 1/5 the electricity. But so far they seem to exist only in the tiny pocket projectors that generate very low light.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 11:21 AM -0500 1/16/08, John Golitsis wrote:

Is this something brand new?? At CES, Samsung announced their 3rd generation of DLP RP models with LED light sources. Mitsubishi announced laser light source DLP RPs at CES. According to a report I read by Peter Putman, the picture looked similar to the Samsung LED-based sets. I'm curious to know what you are referring to.

On 16-Jan-08, at 10:11 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Completely unrelated, I have been made aware of a new (actually enhanced) projection TV technology using LEDs as the light source.

Hmmmm...

I guess if Samsung announced 3rd generation DLPs with LED light sources the cat is out of the bag (I was told that the TI demo of this new chip was not for public release).

I am told that the pictures were VERY GOOD. The LED are switched rather than using a rotating color wheel. And no more light bulbs to replace!

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx