[opendtv] Re: Apple Introduces New Apple TV Software & Lowers Price to $229

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:06:02 -0800

On Jan 16, 2008 7:11 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would think you would be happy to learn that your Apple TV is
> getting a significant FREE upgrade that will make it a far more
> useful toy...

Actually I sold my AppleTV. Many people waited months for Apple to
come through with an SDK. A lot of people myself included contributed
to apps that run native on the AppleTV adding more functionality -

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page

Renting TV shows for a buck 99 doesn't appeal to me - I have DirecTV.
Same goes for Hidef movie rentals - the 30 day delay after DVD is just
too long to wait.

Now if Apple released a newer version of the hardware with capability
to handle higher bitrate, allow *purchases* so that users can build a
library of titles, and improvement to the video output hardware, I
would be all over that.

> And I would think that you would be happy to have heard Steve tell
> everyone that "nobody has gotten the movie download business right..."

The major barrier being the studios' paranoia not wanting to see
another Napster. Unfortunately that has been with us for some amount
of years now - it's called peer to peer.

The 24 hour rent and erase window doesn't work. This will not lower piracy.

Studios need to wise up and release an ad-branded version of their
movies in a 'lower' resolution (960x540 perhaps even lower) at the
same time that the movie releases in theaters. Pirate release groups
are all about winning points against their 'peers' because they beat
someone to the release punch. Eliminate their market. Why is this so
hard to figure out?

> I am very very happy with the new features for my iPhone - and this
> should just be the beginning as the platform is opened up to third
> party developers.

3rd party developers on this front once again beat Apple to the punch.
The last few updates have consisted of Apple playing copy and catch-up
with 3rd party apps already available. There are over 150 apps
available to users who choose to jailbreak their phones.

> As for the MacBook Air - it's an interesting computer, but has little
> appeal for me, having purchased a MacBook Pro last spring. I found
> two of the features of 'Air" interesting.

Very sexy were it not for the non-user-replaceable battery!! I wonder
about the strength of the case with it being so thin. That's the main
thing that bothers me -- how will it deal with corner impact without a
hard angled case.

> 2. LED backlighting - this is a very interesting trend as it allows
> the light source to be switched as well as the LCD panel.

Dell, Sony, Fujitsu, Asus and other manufacturers have offered LED
backlight for over a year now.

> The lack of an optical drive may be the most interesting feature; the
> availability of a smaller capacity flash "disk drive" seems premature
> at this point, but will make more and more sense as capacities
> increase and prices come down.

The Asus Eee, Dell Latitude and others already have SSD and Flash
drives standard or as an option, some since Q2 of 2007. Platter-based
drives are so 2007, Craig. :-)

Cheers
Kon