[opendtv] Re: Apple, Google Seek TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:53:48 -0400

Good article, IMO. Better than most, on this topic.

Bert

I agree that this article does provide a good overview of current opinions about where things are headed as the Internet moves onto the big screen in the family room.

It also proves that NOBODY has figured it out yet.

The following paragraph is a case in point...

"If Google TV and Apple TV have any impact, I believe it will be positive, as it may drive more people to traditional television," said Paul Karpowicz, president of Meredith Local Media Group, a division of Meredith Corp., which owns a dozen TV stations. "Instead of sitting at a computer, the TV will become the device-of-choice for both TV viewing and surfing the Internet. Because the consumer is already sitting in front of the TV, they may watch more traditional television. Over the years, we've determined that viewers do not want TV to be interactive. They prefer to sit back and be entertained, instead of engaging in a cooperative activity like Apple TV or Google TV," Karpowicz said.

On one hand Karpowicz tells us that people are going to make the big screen "the device-of-choice for both TV viewing and surfing the Internet." Then he turns around and contradicts himself in the the last sentence.

Perhaps more relevant is the fact that this article completely misses a developing dynamic that may well change most of the underlying assumptions.

In the next paragraph we read:

"We tend to find these new technologies to be additive to, and not a substitute for, traditional media habits. The council's Video Consumer Mapping study proved that screen time is simply increasing. Nielsen's Three Screen Report also indicates this..."

It is well known that a significant portion of the time that the TV is turned on, the "viewer" is actually using a computer; the TV is primarily background noise, and only commands the viewers attention when something of interest happens. This is commonplace in our house, where my wife and I may both be using our computers and smartphones with the TV on.

The new paradigm may revolve around "second screens" that can be used while sitting on the sofa in front of the big screen. These second screens - smartphones and tablet computers - are more likely to be where interactive content is consumed, EXCEPT when one viewer in a group wants the rest of the group to see what they are looking at (e.g. a website), or the group is playing a game or doing some other form of interactive application that uses both the big screen and several second screens.

This scenario is already playing out in corporate conference rooms with a projector and multiple smartphones, iPads etc.

Bottom line, we are still mostly dealing with opinions, not facts. Very fertile ground for a new round of innovation...

Not to keep beating the same old drum, but a few months ago, the pundits were all questioning what people would do with the iPad, for which they did not see a viable market.