[opendtv] Re: Another point of view on walled gardens]]

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:52:52 -0500

A friend  writes back...

If you would like the real history of ISP's, go here:
http://ecommerce.hostip.info/pages/627/Internet-Service-Provider-ISP.html <http://ecommerce.hostip.info/pages/627/Internet-Service-Provider-ISP.html> (you may have to rebuild the string and paste it in your browser address bar).

The Internet was opened to commercial traffic (non-academic/gov't) in the early 1990's. I used a series of services, like IBM Global Network, UUNet, and tried the horrible Prodigy, CompuServe, and AOL. Fortunately, I found @home in its earliest incarnation, and have been with it to today (now as Comcast.net).
Nice to sometimes remember old times and reinvent history, isn't it?
Chuck