[opendtv] Re: Another point of view on walled gardens

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:04:20 -0500

So it is simply FALSE to say that "you can't put humpty dumpty together again." Maybe AOL can't get away with it anymore is much closer to the truth.

The only thing backwards here is that you guys completely missed the point of the story, not that the assertions of the author are correct.

The point that was being made is that today's Internet is beginning to fragment because of the "limitations" of new mobile devices like the Motorola Droid, Google Nexus, Palm Pre and the iPhone and iPad.

These limitations include scarce wireless bandwidth and limited screen real estate, which can make loading and using many websites time consuming and cumbersome. So we are now seeing mobile websites emerge that are far less complex, while being optimized for small screens.

At first, I was thrilled about the fact that Apple had figured out a way to make it possible to view "feature rich" web sites on the iPhone. I wanted to see the same stuff I see on my laptop. But I quickly grew tired of waiting for complex pages to load; pages filled with ads, and other bandwidth hogging features.

So I tried some of the sites optimized for mobile devices. For the most part they provide a much better experience...

Does this mean the web is fragmenting in a negative way?

Perhaps, if you are web developer and have to add resources to maintain multiple sites, although my sense is that much of this can be automated via CMS using the same files on multiple sites.

The reality is that both web servers and clients are getting much smarter. The "generic" web experience has not existed for quite a few years, at least for more sophisticated sites. When you connect to a site the client is identified and the content may be optimized for that client. If you have left cookies behind the content/ads may even be customized for you. I use the same bookmarks on my laptop and iPhone, yet when I connect to some sites my iPhone is automatically connected to the mobile version.

As we move to web based applications there will be far greater linkage between server and client, just as is the case today with many "Intranet" applications that connect employees to company servers via Internet pipes.

Personally I don't see what is happening as a negative; if anything it is usually an improvement.

The author also tried to leverage the wave of publicity surrounding the iPad, by referring to it in the title of the story. Yet the iPad is not constrained in terms of screen real estate; it should have no problem - other than Flash - in rendering full featured sites, at least when using a WiFi connection.

Still, it's fun to see how Bert and the usual suspects react to stories like this...

;-)