[opendtv] Re: Another Canard: Competing with "Cable"

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:07:40 -0700

First:  I meant to also say that broadcasters need to provide NEW services
to compete in the future.  Not just the legacy services that got them to
this point. Not necessarily video/audio services.

NOTHING makes me think that "TV" is going to look anything like the days
when there were thirty channels.  Indeed, I'm planning on deploying quite
new, very innovative services in coming months and years that are DTV but
are not TV, and I've only begun ...

As for the rest.  Alas, it's state of 1950's legacy thinking.  If only we
had more channels ...

More channels aren't necessarily the answer.  Look what happened when
Discovery moved all their health programs to Discovery Health.  Discovery
lost it's niche and became almost a generic, so we ended up with two
channels doing the job of one.  And, the last thing we need is another
generic cable channel.  The same could be applied to TLC spinning of Wings
and Animal planet.  To get what you used to see all on basic cable, you now
have to upgrade to digital.  Three channels doing the job of one.  (And,
it's only coincidence that I seem to be picking on Discovery Communications,
Inc. today.)