[opendtv] Re: Another CES report

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:49:49 -0800

On Jan 14, 2008 4:37 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I also believe they will need to move to a push mentality, delivering
> files that people want rather than filling up time slots. But that's
> another discussion.

Funny you mention this. We added push-based 'live' content to our IPTV
system a few years ago and the customers love it. They can now have a
single live encoder running, splice it across a half dozen channels in
different timeslots throughout the day, and fill the rest of the
channel slots with pushed data which is 'simulated' live (i.e. if you
'tune' to a channel at 30 past the program, the file skips to 30 past
the file start. The live content can also be forced to record without
user knowledge for later rebroadcast of series/episodes, meaning even
less load on the system for live transmissions which translates to
more bandwidth for pushed content.

OTA is going to have to adopt this model to survive.

Cheers
Kon