[opendtv] Re: Another CES report

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:53:06 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> It is more than just lack of skills.  They also lack economy
> of scale.
>
> By definition any local audience is a much smaller market than a
> national or international one.
>
> If you are allowed to spend only so many $'s (cents?) per viewer
> then reaching a 1000x larger audience also gives you vast
> multiples of budget to work with. With a few exceptions, local
> broadcasters content just cannot compete effectively in this
> arena. This part is not their fault or mostly their job
> responsibility anymore.

That model doesn't work for TV, it's that simple. TV is a mass medium.
Local broadcast content can continue to exist as a small part of the
whole, but cannot sustain TV, IMO. The successful umbillical media are
certainly not successful because of the local content they carry.

> Now that a world full on non-local content is easily available
> due to modern information technology I don't think it is
> feasible to compete with mostly local content. The world has
> gotten smaller, and moved past that. It is now just too cheap to
> import content from everywhere else.

I don't think anyone interested in the survival of FOTA TV should saddle
it with the huge burden of emphasizing "local content." I completely
agree with you that the world has gotten smaller, but *even* in the
past, what always made TV successful was the national audience. Not
local shows.

FOTA TV is not about localism. It is simply the cheapest and most
efficient way to get huge bit rates out to mass audiences. Possibly, in
the future, as ISP hetworks continue to improve, the Internet will
become a practical, viable alternative to OTA TV, and will give
umbillical, walled garden systems a run for their money.