[opendtv] Re: Another CES report

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:29:24 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> 2. TV manufacturers are beginning to make significant
> moves to make sure that they are not relegated to
> selling dumb monitors.

Yes, and isn't it ironic how Gary Shapiro, a few short years ago, was railing
against the idea that TVs should incorporate ATSC receivers?

> Almost all of the TV manufacturers are now offering
> models that connect to the Internet,

Makes a lot of sense. My only question is how come this makes sense to CE
manufacturers, and yet built-in OTA/cable/DBS receivers didn't make sense. Not
without FCC mandates.

The only difference I can come up with is that there is no monolithic entity
out there that controls Internet TV distribution, so no one to make deals under
the table to keep what should be drop-dead obvious from happening.

> No doubt the media conglomerates will survive this
> transition in some diminished form, but the future for
> local broadcasters and what Bert calls the umbillcal
> services is not looking so bright.

I thought you had coined that term.

Actually, though, what you said about cable and DBS incorporating OTA receivers
in their STBs to tell local broadcasters to "shove it" should be EXCELLENT news
for OTA broadcasting. IMO, this would be the sort of catalyst required for a
good OTA DTT network to evolve.

As I see it, things are looking up.