[opendtv] Re: Android TV Boxes

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:12:04 -0800

"Does anyone have any experience with Android TV boxes? I am a bit confused
as to how such a device would integrate into the typical home entertainment
environment....So part of my question has to do with what added value or
differentiation these Android platform
offer." - Tom

In all honesty, Tom, they don't fit in well at all, and offer very little.
I had the Logitek one for a while.  It had all kinds of technical problems
and GoogleTV offered worthless programming at the time.  It did stream
Netflix, should one not already have a box to do this.  But there are much
better boxes for Netflix.  It could surf the net but no Flash player so you
could not view media.

There has been a major revision to GoogleTV since I used it but I heard it
didn't add anything.

Dan