[opendtv] Re: And we were not even invited

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:21:54 -0500

Australia, China (at least a VSB version), Taiwan ( I know is
technically may still be on the books but will not be used), Argentina
(I know, back to a fence sitting position which is not outright
rejection), Brazil (I know they could change their minds), Hong Kong,
Singapore, New Zealand and probably a few more.

8-VSB was in the works when Europe started work on DVB-T. Is a stretch
but not "considering it" could be viewed as rejection. Not even
considering it is the ultimate from of rejection IMO.

This document is ripe with good strong arguments sure to win the day
like this line.

"If the 50 states in the U.S. were considered individual countries,
the ATSC could claim 53 countries adopting its standard thus far,
instead of four, but that would not create any additional economies of
scale."

Bob Miller

On 11/25/06, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't have specific knowledge on this, but one explanation (actually two)
is that one, the other or both organizations engaged in "lip service."

Be interesting to know.

The number of countries that rejected 8-VSB is low.  NO EUROPEAN country
ever CONSIDERED it.

John Willkie