[opendtv] Re: AnalysisWhy Apple and Wal-Mart Are Poised To Rule The World Of Mobile Media

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:33:43 -0500

At 10:45 AM -0800 1/9/09, John Willkie wrote:
Yep, and that "innovation" was evident at the recent MacWorld.  Not a new
product announced.  I read about it not being in their product cycle.

No new products?

Are you not in the "software" business?

Are you making a "product?"

Major upgrades to the iLife suite and the iWork Office suite.

Garage Band now has the ability to teach you to play the guitar or piano - you can even get lessons from Sting and other music industry legends.

And then there is the new 17" MacBook with 8 hour battery life...

I guess "new" only applies to entirely new product lines, not upgrades...

When did Microsoft do something new, other than announcing a new OS to deal with the Vista fiasco?

I would also note that the 25th Anniversay of the Mac is January 23rd. Perhaps Apple is waiting to do something "new" to celebrate "1984."

It is easy to understand why Apple is walking away from MacWorld. The calendar fourth quarter is Apples largest quarter, and most of the product launches for this important quarter take place in September and October.

Is it good policy to update major product lines just weeks after millions of people get an Apple product for Christmas?

But there is more to this than meets the eye. Turns out that Apple may be taking space at CES next year. It would not surprise me if Jobs replaces Balmer as the top keynote billing next year.

January 10, 2009 4:51 PM PST
CEA confirms Apple-related exhibits at CES 2010

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10139861-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The CES keynotes tend to be more visionary, much like the exhibits - i.e. the CE industry uses this conference to show retailers what they will be offering when new products are launched the next summer. And if Apple decides to open up some of its technologies to other vendors, CES could be the perfect platform to launch such initiatives...