[opendtv] Re: AnalysisWhy Apple and Wal-Mart Are Poised To Rule The World Of Mobile Media

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:26:05 -0800

Nope.

But, the problem generally isn't technical; it's business model.  No
broadcasters have done mobile TV, because in the countries where they have
been tried, the broadcasters couldn't use their existing spectrum for
mobile.

So, people who know this field have effectively been prevented from doing
it, and the ones who try (cell carriers) have to buy content -- they don't
even consider creating any content -- at 'retail' prices.

Technology so far has been okay.  Business models have been dead; only pilot
programs have been launched (even MediaFlo) and all but MediaFlo have closed
down.  Essentially, there have been zero commercial systems.

By the way, the Open Mobile Video Coalition announced their 2009 roll out
plans two days ago for M/H
http://www.openmobilevideo.com/_assets/docs/presentations/MobileDTVLaunchSta
tions.ppt

John Willkie