[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Why the TV Market Has Been a Bust

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 03:38:48 -0500

On 2/21/2012 3:12 AM, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Cliff Benham wrote:

Now everyone has an outdated ATSC tuner that hardly anyone uses,
that won't work with ATSC 2.0 unless you add a STB.

So soon I'll have to buy a set top box to feed my set top box?

Heh. No, because Craig (as usual) overstates.

ATSC 2.0 is fully compatible with ATSC 1.0. Your STB will work just
fine, unless you really want to click on those URLs in the TV screen.

No. Some of us just want to watch OTA TV and we absolutely HATE all the ads and promos for upcoming shows that "POP" up during the programs.

And we also hate the interactive junk and website tie-ins that appear on the screen as completely distracting and unnecessary.

It's only the still-up-in-the-air ATSC 3.0 that is supposedly up for grabs.

Anyway, for those who dedicate a PC to their TV/audio setup, none of
this is of any concern.

Wannabet? All the OTA TV programs I watch on a stand alone TV set have these popups too. During every news program, we get reminded that we can see more blood and gore from the accident by going to our computers and clicking on the station's or the network's website.

 At most, an ATSC 2.0 or 3.0 PCI card is all
that's needed. The way connected TVs are turning out, perhaps dedicating
that PC is not such a bad idea.

Not in my house.

My wife's reaction to all of this talk of ATSC 2.0 and 3.0 was, "It's
just an excuse to force people into buying new TVs."

Your wife is right.

I dare say, that is going to be a common reaction. There are certain
staple products that don’t require constant "innovation." The real
"innovation" people might want is in the content.

Bert

Yeah, lets have programs that are designed to appeal to intelligent people instead of to the masses.

Watch a current 30 minute sitcom. It is written to appeal to the 6th grade intellect. [Is '6th grade intellect' an oxymoron?]

Cliff