[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Upfront TV Ad Gains Overhyped as Networks Sidestep New Media Profits

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:01:11 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> An interesting analysis...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/209856-upfront-tv-ad-gains-overhyped-as-networks-sidestep-new-media-profits?source=marketwatch

What "analysis?" It sounds like someone spouting their dislike for
broadcasting. Where is the analysis?

As a matter of fact, my first reaction was "how typical of journalistic hype,"
about this:

"You don't need to look much further for proof than Apple and Google locking
horns over a nascent mobile interactive ad business about to explode -- with or
without much of Madison Avenue and Hollywood in tow."

Has everyone forgotten about the "do not call list"? Who in his right mind
would expect an onslaught of advertizing to hand-held toys to be an automatic
success? My prediction is that such ads will be filtered aggressively, as they
have from e-mail and from the telephone.

I find it a lot more credible, instead, that advertizers continue to
re-evaluate what mix of media to use. It's silly to continue to overhype
web-based advertizing. If advertizers are discovering that maybe cable and
broadcast ads are far more effective than a lot of the online stuff, I wouldn't
be a bit surprised. I'd say, "about time."