[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Time to Screen Out Unloved Channels

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:20:15 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Bert, you ain't no Mr. Spock...
>
> Only a tiny fraction of what is delivered by cable is on the Internet;
> and only a fraction of what the networks deliver to local broadcasters
> is available as well. But this is not the point I was trying to make.
>
> The conglomerates love cable and DBS because they offer the customer
> service and billing infrastructure that has made it possible to
collect
> billions in affiliate compensation from subscribers. Even more
> important, these distribution infrastructures are WALLED GARDENS, as
> you often say - all you can eat gardens that FORCE you to pay for
stuff
> you don't want.

But Craig, we can't keep rehashing the same old models.

I just posted an article which described Time Warner and Comcast's
interest in delivering content to their subscribers online. It's still a
walled garden of sorts, because the content is to be encrypted and only
accessible to the subscribers.

Plus, the congloms themselves are making content available online.

So it seems clear that we have moved beyond the idea that MVPDs must
retain their cable broadcast walled garden model. Or at least, we are in
the process of moving beyond that old notion.

By the way, please re-read Kon's reply. I think you misunderstood it.