[opendtv] Re: Analysis: TV's New White Spaces Could Be Black Eye

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:55:00 -0500

http://www.mediapost.com/blogs/tv_watch/?p=1067
TV's New White Spaces Could Be Black Eye
A media critique by Wayne Friedman , Thursday, November 6, 2008

THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION FREEING up those wireless white spaces in
the broadcast spectrum should mean more competition for those big media
companies.

Or, maybe not.

[ ... ]

Traditional broadcasters such as ABC, NBC, and CBS are worried -- complaining
that signals sent over that part of the spectrum could cause interference with
broadcasts, or even wireless microphones at live events.

But that's not the real issue. It's really about new competitors -- say a big
new media company or an individual -- that could crowd out traditional media
with their own TV programming.

[ ... ]

But here's the downside: Decades ago, the prime access time period was created
for TV stations to run their own programming in the hour before network
prime-time shows commenced. The broadcast rule was to give small, independent
TV producers a chance to compete.

The end result? Big media companies like CBS, Time Warner, or Walt Disney ended
up owning time periods for their syndicated programming like "Wheel of Fortune"
or "Friends" or "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

Freeing white spaces sounds like a good idea, giving small guys a chance to
compete. But we all know how this stuff usually turns out. Google and
Microsoft, waiting in the wings to compete with traditional broadcasters, means
only one thing -- big media versus big wannabe-media companies. Big deal.

On the last point, chuckle.

On the part "But that's not the real issue," as a customer, I very much
disagree. It is the real issue for the OTA TV users, even if it might not be
all the OTA broadcasters are upset about.

As a user of the spectrum, I wouldn't mind it a bit if others came in to offer
more whatever good new stuff on those RF freqs. But obviously I do mind if they
do so at the expense of what's there now that I care about.