[opendtv] Re: Analysis: TV's Future Is Here, but It Needs Work

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:01:14 -0700

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 18:50 -0400, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> First, even with Bit Torrent, you certainly can't
> exceed the speed of your broadband connection. So
> no matter how you slice it, downloading an SD movie
> will take something in the order of magnitude of
> the length of the movie time-wise, with the
> broadband connection most people have today (which
> is less than or equal to, say, 6 Mb/s). For HD
> content, much more time is necesssary. This was
> one objection listed in the article.

The point to using bittorrent in this case is that you may have source
shows coming from small networks that can't cope with feeding users. The
fact that you have an always-on STB network and your bittorrent control
is not something users can control means you can nicely distribute the
content and keep it that way without people disconnecting after they
have downloaded the stream. It would also help with downloading from
distant networks.

Ofcourse a lot of this content is in the form of streams. This is the
one area that isn't well-addressed.

> Another problem is getting the rights to the
> content. Popular content is not going to be easy to
> get. Unknown content, of course, is another matter.

Its only unknown until someone writes a script and makes that available
for display on the box. You don't need to find the content you don't
know about, other people will do it for you (and vice versa).

There's a generic parser engine for the non-mediacenter edition that
does a great job of generically parsing all manner of website content.

> Or movie trailers, or anything meant to be free.
> We have seen that even walled gardens like Verizon
> and SBC IPTV systems are having trouble jumping
> through all the hoops to acquire the rights to
> *popular* content.

You can watch this popular content everywhere for cheaper. Rent it at a
store, whatever. I don't see the point to a niche product providing the
same old same old. Provide something new and interesting and I will buy
it. If the Akimbo supported the kinds of features I mentioned vs. just
these crappy filler channels I will bet money on the table that they
would attract a new audience.

When I saw the first version of their box it looked like it had some
good capabilities. Extend that viewer to things like Flickr, RSS, etc. !
Theres more to a viewing experience than just looking at video.

Cheers
Kon