[opendtv] Re: Analysis: TV's Future Is Here, but It Needs Work

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:13:43 -0700

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 13:04 -0400, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> And, of course, you shouldn't be forced to buy their
> box. PC-savvy people would be better served with a
> web site with the menu, and perhaps some
> shrink-wrapped software. That way, they can belong
> to other on-line "clubs" like this, without having
> to stack up all the redundant single-purpose
> hardware.

18 months and still they have no content. I don't call paying for iFilm
clips or a subscription to a yoga channel 'content'. Its just filler and
a lot of it is free on the web. I wonder how many channels are really
just equated to the user paying for a massaged version of a webpage so
the list of media renders on the STB.

I prefer free, like a certain non-microsoft mediacenter does it, by
allowing users to run python scripts with hooks into their display apis:

http://www.allxboxskins.com/skins/preview.php?app=xbmc&pvf=blue-glow
http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/xbmc/shots/scripts/movieTrailers.jpg

Further proof that this is growing uncontrollably:
http://www.xbmcscripts.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=8

The point I'm trying to make here is that if you give users the
capability to extend an STB which essentially is pulling internet
content, you don't have to charge for updating scripts -- they will do
it for you. And whats more, people in foreign countries who are not even
your market (and who's content you may not even be aware of) will extend
your product and create new demand for it.

Combine this with a bittorrent client on all your STBs and a
subscription-based tracker supporting only your STBs and you have a
pretty solid content mashing and delivery mechanism. Locking down your
own tracker lets you also filter out anyone who has scripted up a view
to download pirated materials. Thats what Akimbo is missing.

This is all pretty simple - why don't they get this?

Cheers
Kon