[opendtv] Re: Analysis: TV Marketers Pull Back Upfront Buys: What Happens Next?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:06:49 -0800

Here's the yarn
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/business/media/08digi.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=s
creens&st=cse

CPMs in tv and cable are down, Craig, because the auto category (local
individual dealers, local dealer group, and national) disappeared in the
fourth quarter.

It's not exactly kosher to equate long-term societal trends with short-term
ones driven by topical market forces.

When was the last time you saw a PM newspaper?  They competed with afternoon
traffic.  We had one in San Diego (which I delivered as a kid) until 1992.

And, as the article points out, the size of the audience for tv hasn't
declined; it's just spread among more players, and sometimes people are
working on one screen while nominally watching another. However, I don't
think Nielsen counts that case as watching TV ...

John Willkie