[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:19:41 -0800

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

"Current state of the art consumer deinterlacers (TV's, STB's, Blu Ray
players) are reasonably good. Most of them use motion assisted process."

But there is a trade-off.  By turning on the "smooth motion" (or whatever
the TV calls it), the video becomes much smoother and de-interlacing is
quite good on many modern TVs.  However, all video becomes 60 frames per
second and that is not always desirable.  For instance, movies often look
like video because of the temporal change.

Of course, turn the "smooth motion" off and the interlacing artifacts come
back.  In fact, the TV deals with it very poorly and the artifacts are
obvious and bothersome, in my opinion.  This requires me to go to this
deeply buried menu setting quite often.

Dan