[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 07:26:09 -0500

At 2:53 AM -0500 3/6/12, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Or in our market, WHUT (PBS) is 1080i, while WETA (obviously PBS) is 720p + the three 480i SD subchannels.

But here's what I don't get. All flat panel displays have to deinterlace much of what people watch. So, is it that all of this deinterlacing is really bad, and I just don't know what to look for, or is it that for some reason, the deinterlacers in receivers are better than what you'd have to use at the broadcast station?

How big is your display?

What is the viewing distance to that display?

I strongly suspect that the answer to your question is that the combination of display size and viewing distance is contributing to the suppression of visible artifacts.