[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 18:16:38 -0500

At 3:52 PM -0500 3/5/12, Mark Schubin wrote:
Good luck with CBS, NBC, PBS, HBO, Showtime, etc.

Are we talking about 1080i or the SDTV stuff they are still using?

;-)

Mark is correct, we're stuck with this for awhile, at least for legacy ATSC receivers.

I do think it would be easier NOW to get agreement on progressive only for ATSC 2.0 and any future ISO MPEG/ITU compression standards.

1080P is now a practical reality, so the 1080i folks have an upgrade path that meets their "thousand line" expectations.