[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 17:25:46 -0500

For the compression to be progressive, the video needs to be deinterlaced.

We think in terms of few TV networks vs. millions of TV sets. But those millions of sets make it possible to get fine deinterlacing silicon (think the Realta chip). No TV station will buy a $250,000 deinterlacer (and not even THAT can do a perfect job).

There's no question progressive is the way to go. But, as we speak, more hours of interlaced HD are being generated.

TTFN,
Mark

On 3/5/2012 4:40 PM, Mike Tsinberg wrote:
If incoming video is interlaced and compression is progressive the output of
the decoder can be interlaced again. That second process of progressive to
interlace conversion is less expensive then progressive to interlace
conversion and inherently less lossy.

Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com