[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 14:46:37 -0600

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> Some of the reasons [for going to only progressive transmission with H.265]
> could be compression efficiency for progressive is better then interlace
> and interlace to progressive conversion is relatively low cost and
> reasonable quality now.

And also, this I agree with Craig, the population of interlaced DTV receivers
out there is most likely dwindling fast.

In the earlier days, interlace in source material and in displays (like CRT
HDTV sets) was still common.

Given this state of affairs, it probably does make sense to de-interlace at the
source end, before compressing and broadcasting DTV, these days.