[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:35:36 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The two were developed hand in hand - BOTH leverage MPEG-2 MP@ML for
> Standard Definition video. Both the ATSC and DVD standards call out
> MPEG-2 MP@ML. And THAT specification was not standardized until 1996
> (some parts a bit later).

Originally, the ATSC standard *did not* even include SDTV, so MPEG-2 MP@HL was
mandatory. Even after SD was added, wisely enough, ATSC still mandated HD
stream reception. So that, unless some sort of decimating feature was
developed, MPEG-2 MP@HL would be mandatory regardless. Even if the image
eventually went to an SD screen.

And that decimating feature was never developed. Why? Because the HL decoders
became plenty cheap enough.

> Remember, DirectTV went on the air with a non-standard implementation
> of what became MPEG-2. They had to upgrade/replace all of their early
> receivers when they switched to MPEG-2.

Just like DVB-T, DBS and cable were simply not forward-looking enough. And now
all of them are stuck with having to support simulcast streams. But not OTA!

As I said back then, that was a mistake. For DVB-T, excusable given their
history with HD-MAC. For DBS, maybe, given their spectrum issues? Not sure
about that. For cable? No excuse. They were just dead set against ATSC.

May I instead use myself as the market average case?

I bought my first LCD HDTV in late 2003 or early 2004. I had a DVD player, but
like (virtually) all DVD players from the years before then, this one had no
component outputs. So I used, IIRC, S-video.

However, there was no question why I bought the HDTV set. It was in
anticipation for the time when the CE companies would FINALLY provide a 5th gen
ATSC STB. I got sick and tired of waiting, so in 2005 I bought an Accurian 3rd
gen, quite decent STB. And then a few weeks later a second similar one, for our
upstairs setup. (And since then, upgraded both systems to integrated sets.)

So yes, we did have DVD on HDTV sets before real HD content, but that's hardly
why we bought them. We bought them for watching HD content as it was meant to
be seen.