[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Idiosyncratic and Personal, PC Edges TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:35:11 -0400

I don't buy his premise at all. Ironically, he also doesn't buy his own
premise, when he said at the end:

"I still caught Wednesday's episode of 'Lost,' downloading it to my iPod
to view on my commute and sending $1.99 to ABC and Steve Jobs to split."

Next step in the evolution is when he figures out that he could simply
record whatever shows he's interested in, for later viewing, and do
whatever telephone calls or on-line chats he wants when he wants.
Without having to pay Steve Jobs, and without having to view on a 2"
screen. No one is tied to the TV schedule anymore, and has not been for
at least the past two decades. Actually, approaching three decades.

If audience for "Lost" has dropped off, it's not at all surprising to
me. For one thing, it's got good competition from new CBS shows at that
time, and for another, some viewers might have gotten tired by the
off-the-wall tangents the show keeps inventing out of the blue.

In any event, if this is really the case:

"She has some facts on her side: according to Nielsen Media Research,
last year, the average household watched television 8 hours and 14
minutes a day, a 3-minute increase from the 2004-5 season and a record
high."

perhaps a healthy reduction in TV viewership would be a good thing? Not
so people can vegetate in front fo a PC screen, though. Hopefully, to
get people off their rear ends for more than a minute or two a day. Work
or school, followed by 8 hours of TV, I'm not sure how that addition
works.