[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Google-like technologies couldrevolutionize TV, other media

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 15:10:20 -0400

At 10:51 AM -0700 5/2/04, Kon Wilms wrote:
>  >Now imagine a digital broadcast system that is able to deliver
>customized & personalized advertising messages to specific
>neighborhoods (zoning), specific demographic targets, even specific
>IP addresses.
>
>I believe we call that SPAM and/or POPUP ADS. I have a tool for both of
>those, and it isn't my DVR.

No Kon...

We don't call it any of those things.

As the article said. Advertisers are going to move their money where
they get more bang for the buck.

Many of the the things discussed in the story - like the Visible
World technology -  are  simply refinements of the existing Broadcast
TV advertising model; the major difference is tht the ads are
generated to better match your demographics. many of the other
concepts discussed are a trade-off that most viewers may think to be
a huge improvement over the current advertiser supported system. That
is, if the distributor needs to generate 50 cents per hour for each
pair of eyeballs to cover the cost of the content and their
overhead/profits, thhere are several ways to do it.

Run 15 or more minutes per hour of unfocused "shotgun ads."

Run one or two targeted ads for which they are paid 50 cents for YOUR
eyeballs, then let you watch the content without interruption.

Most people do not get upset by focused messaged for things they
want. They are upset by what you are calling spam.  The winners will
figure out how to create a new permission based "compact" between the
viewer, the advertiser and the content creators/distributors.