[opendtv] Re: Analysis: GET SET FOR COMING D.C. RETRANS FIGHT

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:13:23 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But at this point I would say that it is in neither broadcasting's
> nor cable's interest to encourage over-the-air reception. Instead
> of handing out rabbit ears in the middle of retrans fights, cable
> operators would be far better off paying broadcasters and making
> them partners in driving folks to sign up for cable.

I agree, and it appears that the same situation could exist in the UK
with respect to Virgin Media. And yet, one would have to conclude,
consumers in the UK are not as eager to let themselves be yanked around
as they are here, and successfully prevent that from happening.

Consumers have to take control of their own choices. What is in the best
interest of cable and broadcasters is not necessarily in the best
interest of consumers. So let's let them know, with our decisions.