[opendtv] Re: Analysis: GET SET FOR COMING D.C. RETRANS FIGHT

  • From: Dave Bittner <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:54:31 -0500

Just like the barrage of unwanted pre-show ads and general substandard experience in Movie Theaters has driven many consumers to build their own home theaters, I wonder if the continued greed from cable and broadcasters will drive consumers to "alternate" sources for programming. I already know one well-known industry guru who has given up paid TV, getting shows via bit torrent. Shows are shorter, thanks to longer ad breaks, cable fees higher, thanks to retrans agreements. We're paying more for less, and sooner or later a market will open up to serve those frustrated by all the ads and fees, those wiling to pay to remove the clutter. (Twenty years ago, who would have thought people would be willing to adopt "pay-radio"? Thanks to the homogenization of broadcast, a market opportunity opened up.) How long will it be before something along the lines of Apple TV allows viewers to buy only the content they want?