[opendtv] Re: Analog v Digital TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:57:27 -0500

At 6:30 PM -0500 1/14/07, Tom Barry wrote:
Albert Manfredi wrote:
 Agreed, Tom. I was taking issue with your "no extra info is sent."

You send redundant info, so that even though MPEG encoding deleted much
 of this redundancy info from the image itself, your FEC schemes put it
 back in.

Yes, darn it, we agree you send some redundant info. (I am doing it now ;-) ) I was both originally, and still, saying and agreeing that no extra info is magically conjured up ("provided") on the receiving end that was not sent, at least in aggregate. Glad we have that cleared up.

Obviously the issue is not cleared up. Once again Bert is smokin some good stuff.

The MPEG encoded bit are what they are. There is no redundancy or error correction in the encoded bits. The MPEG encoder produces four main components of the image that the decoder uses to reconstruct the image:

1. I - frame DCT coefficients - These can stand on their own allowing the decoder to reconstruct the anchor frame in the GOP. The encoder quantizes the DCT coefficients and sends what is left, nothing more. Think of this as a data file. THERE IS NO WAY TO MAGICALLY SEND ADDITIONAL COEFFICIENTS AS PART OF ANY ERROR CORRECTION SCHEME. Any downstream processing can only use the bits in what's left of that "file," in an effort to reproduce it as accurately as possible.

2. Motion vectors - these are used by the decoder to reconstruct other frames. These too are "data files" which carry the motion vector information. Again, there is no error correction in these files. Any downstream processing can only use the bits in that "file," in an effort to reproduce it as accurately as possible.

3. DCT coefficients carrying the differences between the I frame and the P frames that are included in the GOP. These coefficients may also be quantized by the encoder. These too are "data files" which carry DCT coefficient information. Again, there is no error correction in these files. Any downstream processing can only use the bits in that "file," in an effort to reproduce it as accurately as possible.

4. DCT coefficients carrying the differences between the actual B frames and the predictions of the B frames produced by the decoder. These coefficients may also be quantized by the encoder. These too are "data files" which carry DCT coefficient information. Again, there is no error correction in these files. Any downstream processing can only use the bits in that "file," in an effort to reproduce it as accurately as possible.

Obviously there is additional information about the encoded frames that is delivered (size, aspect ratio, frame rate etc.). In other words, more data. All of these bits are wrapped up in an MPEG transport stream. Within THAT stream there may be redundancy bits, pad bits to fill out the packets etc. BUT THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION THAT CAN IMPROVE THE PICTURE.

Anything downstream in an ATSC transmission is error protection with the sole purpose of trying to get the data in the files I described above to the decoder in the receiver with the lowest number of errors possible. IF you can receive the ATSC transmitted bits perfectly, you can reconstruct the MPEG video stream at the same level of accuracy, as a decoder that is connected to the output of the encoder ( i.e. NO CHANNEL ERRORS).

IN AN ATSC TRANSMISSION THE VIDEO QUALITY CANNOT BE ANY BETTER THAN WHAT WAS ORIGINALLY PRODUCED BY THE ENCODER, BUT IT CAN BE SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE.

Error Protection is there to deal with the fragile nature of the transmission channel. And this error protection actually reduces the delivered image quality.

WHY?

Because any overhead for error protection that is used in the transmission channel reduces the payload available to the encoder for image data. If you use 2 Mbps for error protection that is 2 Mbps that cannot be used for image data. All of the cool stuff in A-VSB, is there for only two purposes:

1. To help the equalizer in the receiver lock to the stream better.
2. To protect/correct channel errors.

The result is that the payload for the image data is further reduced.