[opendtv] Re: Analog v Digital TV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:19:42 -0500

Bert -

I think we are just talking around each other here, with maybe no disagreement. I said error correction never "provides" new information but meaning that sufficient bits of extra information have to be sent ("provided") by the sender, not mathematically created somehow at the receiving end. The sent extra information is the redundancy that all schemes include so you can calculate the values of any missing bits.

Reed-Solomon is a good example, say a simple erasure code. There, for each group of so many symbols you can add a few extra ones, with carefully calculated redundancy. If you drop a few symbols, say n, in delivery you can make up the complete group as long as you have sent an equal number n of redundant symbols (not just duplicates). But you still have to plan ahead to send a sufficient number (at least n) of extra ones to match the max number the receiver might miss.

After that number you are into error concealment, or sometimes resend requests.

In any event, I suspect we are just debating the use of the word "provided".

- Tom

Albert Manfredi wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:

Error correction never really provides any extra information. It just
averages errors over a longer period making them more predictable
and able to be handled. But it always requires enough redundancy
to make up for the amount of errors over that long period.

Depends what kind of error correction you're talking about.

I'm talking about real error correction schemes here, like the convolutional Viterbi or turbo codes, and the block codes like RS. They do provide more information. They provide redundant information in the bit stream to allow missed blocks of bytes to be reconstructed completely. Within certain limits.

Beyond that limit, then you fall back to error *concealment* schemes, which sounds like what you're referring to.

Nothing is free.

Indeed. So, for example, the Viterbi codes used in ATSC assign 1/3 of the bit rate to redundancy. The Reed Solomon block code assigns almost 10 percent of the bit rate to redundancy.

What makes these schemes more effective than the accidental redundancy available in NTSC is that they are specifically designed for the purpose. So, while in NTSC you can still see an image when there's snow and ghost, just because of the extra image info that isn't really essential, you still do see the errors. Instead with DTV, within the range of effectiveness, the errors are completely corrected, and then less perfectly concealed beyond that range, and then all quits.

The Shannon limit for 19.39 Mb/s in a 5.38 MHz channel is 10.47 dB of SNR. As the erorr correction is accomplished in ATSC receivers today, about 15 dB of SNR is needed. So the question is, what does an NTSC quality image look like if the signal is received with only 10.47 or 15 dB of SNR? And remember, that ain't HDTV. A more fair comparison would be 4.5 Mb/s SDTV, against NTSC, and then the SNR needed for DTV is under 2 dB (A-VSB, diversity antenna). How would that look for NTSC??

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com