[opendtv] Re: Analog v Digital TV

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:09:11 -0500

Before you go looking for the 3rd harmonic, go look for a broken wire. Or more likely a bad coax shield connection. A corroded or broken foil shield connection or an improperly installed F fitting can affect lower frequency channels but sometimes not the higher ones.

John Willkie wrote:

Barry;

To rule out intermodulation/image issues, you will need to do the appropriate engineering analysis. This can be a significant issue. I've never done it with digital, but with analog (and there are still analog stations around), the separation between an undesired station 7 channels below a desired one is almost the same distance as between first adjacent channels. That's because the IF frequency for analog tv sets is 45 mhz, which is between 7 and 8 channels and is almost as significant as first adjacent channels.

The antenna preamp might also be interacting with a slightly out of tolerance component in the Dish receiver.

If you've got a friend with the same receiver, it might be informative to trade receivers for a few days. If that receiver has the same issue, you might try to put successive 3dB pads in the antenna line and see what happens.

You could also be getting more VSWR than is desirable due to mismatches between the impedance on the preamp output, the receiver input, the connectors on the cable, and the cable itself. You could take the receiver in question up into the attic along with a receiver, and hook it up to the antenna with and without the preamp.

Lots of luck on this one.