[opendtv] Re: Anal ysis: What the hell is going on with TV?

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:50:04 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Jessi Hempel, senior writer at Fortune magazine, has put together
> a lengthy piece about the current state of the TV business,
> complete with several very interesting graphics. I've not read it
> all, but I recommend going to the linked article to get the most
> out of this analysis.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/01/03/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-tv/

Dunno, I find this analysis to (common theme) create distinctions where there
are no differences. Also, to elevate middlemen to positions higher than they
probably deserve. Which makes the situation appear more chaotic than it really
is.

TV content owners are just like any other business trying to make the web work
for them. They hold the cards, and they have to make this medium work to their
advantage. They will use middlemen if it suits their purposes. And they may
change the middlemen they deal with, whenever they choose.

The Googles, the Apple TVs, the Netflixs, are middlemen. They neither created
the Web, nor did they create Internet TV. They merely try to create a certain
user experience, ease of use, what have you. But of course, content owners hold
all the cards.

I don't know about her, but I never had any trouble finding stuff on the web,
since its inception in 1994. I didn't have to wait for the Goggle search
engine. Google is only a late-coming search engine that seems to have caught
the hype-fancy of the press. Similarly, I don't pretend like Google TV, or
Apple TV, or the old WebTV, are anything more than middlemen who depend 100
percent on the good graces of the content owners.

Lots of products are available on Amazon too, for example. So what? Does that
mean that Amazon created web commerce?

Turns out, brick and mortar retailers are also going through big changes.
Department stores are on the decline, large catalog retailers are on the
decline, big shopping malls are also on the decline, but smaller scale boutique
stores carrying only name brand poroducts are doing okay.