[opendtv] Re: An interesting datapoint on DTV pricing

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:24:20 -0500

At 11:14 PM -0800 12/12/08, John Willkie wrote:
Long time readers of this reflector will remember a thread from about 8 years ago - with several repeats - having to do with a 6: portable b&w tv set that was sold for 25, then $15 dollars, then given away. Long before such a tv set would have been required to go off the market, they disappeared. I haven't seen one in use in more than four years.

Mark Shubin opined that no such TV would ever be offered with an ATSC tuner, and at nowhere near those price points, nor would it be widely available.

So, I was watching Numbers tonight, and right before the start of the program, I saw a spot for a TV at Walgreens. It was a 10" LCD TV (which means it has to have an ATSC and NTSC tuner) and was advertised for $129.99, less a $30.00 rebate. Yes, an 8-VSB tv set for less than $100.

I wasn't paying real close attention, so I can't say that it was a 16:9 set, but I think that it was a widescreen set.

I just visited the Walgreen's web site, and I find no mention of it; a 7" LCD tv is advertised there for $249.00.

And, after Christmas, it will sell for less than $99.99 exclusive of tax.

John

There is no requirement for an ATSC tuner in sets with displays smaller than 13," so you cannot asume that this set has an ATSC tuner.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-02-230A1.pdf

But the 7" model you found on the website does include an ATSC tuner.

Cheap ATSC ready TVs are now commonplace. You can get a 13" Magnavox TV with built-in DVD player for $129 at Walmart.