[opendtv] Re: An interesting datapoint on DTV pricing

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:34:32 -0500

<http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1170536/featured_in_walgreens_black_friday.html>
Long link may or now work here. I just googled it.

- Tom
John Willkie wrote:
Long time readers of this reflector will remember a thread from about 8
years ago - with several repeats - having to do with a 6: portable b&w tv
set that was sold for 25, then $15 dollars, then given away.  Long before
such a tv set would have been required to go off the market, they
disappeared.  I haven't seen one in use in more than four years.

Mark Shubin opined that no such TV would ever be offered with an ATSC tuner,
and at nowhere near those price points, nor would it be widely available.

So, I was watching Numbers tonight, and right before the start of the
program, I saw a spot for a TV at Walgreens.  It was a 10" LCD TV (which
means it has to have an ATSC and NTSC tuner) and was advertised for $129.99,
less a $30.00 rebate.  Yes, an 8-VSB tv set for less than $100.

I wasn't paying real close attention, so I can't say that it was a 16:9 set,
but I think that it was a widescreen set.

I just visited the Walgreen's web site, and I find no mention of it; a 7"
LCD tv is advertised there for $249.00.

And, after Christmas, it will sell for less than $99.99 exclusive of tax.