[opendtv] Re: An inspired rant about the astonishingly loathsome Comcast DVR

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 12:49:59 -0500

100% accurate. My neighbor has one of these abominations. It has been
replaced probably near to a dozen times. All of the replacements are
refurbs. He has it on a UPS to avoid brownouts or any minor surges
frying it. He has a rackmount fan blower above it to help cool it.

It loses data frequently. Guide and programming. I suspect that the
userland backend apps running on the box have no way to recover
corrupted programming or cache (or are just buggy) if the box is
rebooted prematurely, so they flush the cache completely just to be
safe. Talk about a hack job.

The UI is one of the worst I have ever seen. Motorola has never been
skilled at designing even the most basic of UIs for STBs (color bleeding
and font mismatching are their trademarks) - but this time it appears
they hired color-blind children straight out of kindergarten and handed
them a few crayolas to sketch out the design.

Cheers
Kon