[opendtv] Re: An inspired rant about the astonishingly loathsome Comcast DVR

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:10:55 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

It may have changed now but the last I heard you would be paying for
2 cable card fees plus a guide subscription fee for the real Tivo.

I can understand the two cable cards, I suppose. But according to TPV's current issue, Issue 72, Page 90, which is my only source of info for this,

http://www.avguide.com/the-perfect-vision

TiVo Series 3 uses its own EPG, which it obtains the old-fashioned way, through a dial-up phone line, or it can do this via an Internet link too. So you should not have to pay the cable company for use of its EPG, I wouldn't think. It says very clearly that the Series 3 records from both cable and ATSC sources, and that CableCard's incompatibility with the cable provider's EPG is therefore irrelevant.

I think that the US TV content marketplace has to learn to push back against anti-competitive business models just a tad. There's just way too much "rolling over and taking it" on the part of the spineless customers.