[opendtv] Re: An inspired rant about the astonishingly loathsome Comcast DVR

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:01:41 -0500

Albert Manfredi wrote:
> Lesson 3: even if you can't resist paying someone a monthly ransom for
> your time-shift recording, the new HD TiVo PVRs have an integral ATSC
> tuner. TPV did not complain about its performance, so I assume it's decent.

It may have changed now but the last I heard you would be paying for 2 cable card fees plus a guide subscription fee for the real Tivo. And that is a higher monthly fee than just renting the Comcast box, which worked well for me until they decided I needed a higher priced bundle in order to keep it. Then I just went the all computer route.

- Tom

flyback1 wrote:

http://battellemedia.com/archives/003055.php

Not only don't they not work well [egad, a triple negtive!],
they also burn out their power supplys quite regularly.

Lesson 1: don't become impregrnated by local monopolies for HD programming. There's no reason for that.

Lesson 2: don't become imrgenated by local monopolies for time-shift recording. There's no reason for that either.

Lesson 3: even if you can't resist paying someone a monthly ransom for your time-shift recording, the new HD TiVo PVRs have an integral ATSC tuner. TPV did not complain about its performance, so I assume it's decent.

I'm sorry, but it's hard to listen to cries of rape after consentual sex.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com